Friday, June 1, 2012

The Unanswerable Question




This is a message I really can’t ever deliver. It is very personal.
Yes, you over there in your lonely suburban house.
Saw your grandson yesterday, the one you don’t know.
Nice kid –somehow he knows I’m related – same birthmark.
He keeps trying to figure it out – so he comes by my classroom.
Looks in – wondering – looks at me with questions in his eyes.
I’ve got no answers – just more questions, simple questions,
His name, his birthday, his daddy’s name, where he lives.
Questions I can’t ask.


Years ago I saw his daddy and I…..almost passed out.
Same height, same hair, same face just like his dead brother.
I sat there stunned and watched him move – a living ghost.
Hush! I told my child, close your mouth and shut up!
Went home, demanded answers from our aunt – who knew.
Got only a question in response – where’d you see him?
Then she said, “His momma wants nothing to do with us!”
Who’s he look like, how’d you know he was ours?



I still don’t know his name, our aunt wouldn’t talk
Any more on that subject, though she talked on many more.
Now, I understand why she wouldn’t speak and séances do no good.
My classroom is empty now, I don’t teach there anymore.
Your grandson will stop, look in, and find no answers,

No comments:

Post a Comment