Friday, June 1, 2012

Don't Tell Me Who I'm NOT!


Brother in blood , don’t dare try to tell me who I’m not!
Such a sad, sorry, misguided and boring argument .
Your face’s reflection in the mirror
Seems much like mine,…but you can not,
Will not recognize my Appalachian Soul.


Sick and tired I am of people telling me
I don’t exist and who I’m not.
I am BLACK and I am MOUNTAIN BORN!
Seven generations of my people have
Walked these meandering mountain hollers.


My dark eyes and ears see and hear your games and
Read them sadly for your blind ignorance
Which sees only my obvious African face.
While your mouth spews contempt and hatred
For my Appalachian heritage.


You played games of disrespect with your elders.
Would not recognize mine as they walk by.
Those long gone folk who climbed the mountain
To build and light the schoolhouse fire.. for children yet unkmown.


I have walked my mother’s steps and the footsteps of her elders,
Always remembering the lessons of my grandmother’s
Peach tree switch which taught respect for all living beings.
Listen well and don’t try telling me who I’m not!
I am proud, black, and Appalachian, and most of all, I am ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment