Sunday, September 11, 2016

FIFTEEN YEARS AFTER 9/11

Will I ever forget 9/11/1?  No WAY.  As a country, as a people, we had always taken pride in the fact that we had NEVER been faced with an attack (of war) on our own soil.   (Pearl Harbor was technically not a part of the United States when it was attacked  during WW II. Hawaii  did not become a state until 1959 and you birthers can STFU since President Obama was born in August of 1961.)

My classroom  was occupied with students  reasonably on task that morning when I heard a key in my door. I looked up and in walked a student, “Ms. Jane…..turn on the TV…they flew a plane into the World Trade Center!”  He grabbed the remote off my desk and turned on the television set. I was so shocked that I never asked where he got the key to my classroom…..but he knew there was a large screen (31 inch)  television in my room purchased by my Spanish 3-4  classes.)

In silent shock, my students and I watched the unfolding horror.  They began to scoot their chairs closer to my desk until they surrounded my corner of the room. The stunned silence in the classroom was deafening as we watched the unfolding horror…..the second plane hitting the tower…the collapse of the building  and the utter devastation….of World Trade…the Pentagon.  The bell rang for class to end, most of the students DID NOT MOVE.  I flew down the hall to my friend’s classroom and yelled at her to call her daughter (who worked at the Pentagon).  She looked at me like I was crazy and all I could say was…”Call her NOW!”  Ran back to my room, pulled my AT&T calling card out of my portfolio and frantically dialed my brother’s number in suburban Washington.   To my surprise and shock, he answered the phone and all I could say was …”Are you okay?” (I remembered that after the riots when Martin Luther King was killed…the government had blocked phone communication in and out of  D.C. )  To this day, I don’t remember any other part of our discussion.  I remember my friend coming to my room to say she had finally talked to a friend of her daughter’s and her daughter was okay….hadn’t been in the Pentagon that day.

Numbness set in…as a side effect of the shock.  Students sort of wandered the building looking for a seat near a television they could watch…the building was eerily silent. Probably for the first time in their teen age lives, the young people were emotionally shaken….this catastrophe was bigger than whatever violence they saw/felt/experienced in their neighborhood…..especially as speculation  about the number of people who died began.

Fifteen years later…time and War has moved on. At least one student I know of was killed in battle in Iraq.  I went to his visitation….not his funeral…the school building has been torn down….my friends and I have long since retired.   Many students have gone to War….a kid from the neighborhood was killed in battle….the young man my children call their “youngest brother” has been deployed three times and come home safely. More people have died in War than 9/11 claimed and the empty spaces in the hearts of a nation still ache.


For some reason….the idiots who own cable news…think it’s time to rehash that horrible day.  I refuse to turn on the television….because I DO REMEMBER….to the end of my days….I will NOT forget. It is NOT a day to be celebrated or to be made into unthinking political fodder.   The extreme HATE which  created  a 911, which fomented two wars in the 21st Century, which continually stirs up religious,  racial , social, political and yes even gender anathema in this world is  a direct representation of pure EVIL rampant in our society and it needs to be stamped out and erased from the human psyche. My prayer today is for the HATRED to end unequivocally.

No comments:

Post a Comment