Wednesday, April 27, 2022

WHY , THEN AND NOW


            The question has been asked and finally one young adult who made the 50th Anniversary trip to Selma contacted me  and wondered simply if I would share my motivation and feelings about  both the original 1965 trip and the 2015 return trip.  To that young adult, I must apologize on two counts. First, I did not ignore your question but at the time that you asked I had the feeling that you deserved a more complete answer than I was able to verbalize off the top of my head. Second, as I indicated  to all present at the Friday night discussion before we left for Alabama, I am not  a public speaker…I am a writer and a person who has learned to think before I speak. Therefore, extemporaneous speech is not my preferred genre.

            The decade of the 1960’s was a tumultuous period for those of us coming of age.  The social changes that were coming  (much like the changes in process in current times)  caused a lot of furor  and consternation among  many naysayers of the time.  Certain elements of society will fight  change  because it frightens them and threatens their “status quo.”  As a journalist, it was critical for me to watch, listen, and analyze events surrounding me.  Part of my early training as a reporter required me to factually describe what I saw and heard  without  editorializing  (injecting a personal judgment).   Only in editorial writing was I free to touch on and discuss my analysis of events.  (Remember  my “keep your mouth shut” admonition at the Friday night panel discussion?)

            My decision to make the 1965 trip  (like many of my fellow travelers) was intensely personal, not professional.  As my fellow traveler and classmate told of forging her mother’s signature to the travel permission, I understood her reasoning very well. Since I was 21 and legally of age as well as a college employee, not a word was said to my father (until many years later).  That adult decision was me keeping myself in tune and in step with my personal beliefs.   I took my alma mater’s defining motto very seriously, GOD hath made of one blood all nations of men.  I believed that fact then, I believe it now. By that personal choice to believe….I refuted and condemned any person’s  option to denigrate, demean, disrespect  any other human being’s  origin (racial, ethnic, religious, even sexual)  in the nations of men!   Did I fully understand the symbolic cross I had chosen to shoulder?  Unconsciously yes, but consciously it would take me a lifetime to verbalize my decision openly in an understandable manner. Please do not misinterpret what I say, if Christ could shoulder His cross for the sins of mankind, I could certainly  take a stand for the equality of mankind…..all of mankind.

            The 2015 trip was for me a pilgrimage, a journey to a place (and time) of moral significance.   In essence I was revisiting my first pertinent  and the most important step into my witness to the world.  There would of course be stumbling blocks ahead, some foreseen, some unforeseen.  The commonality of those stumbling blocks would be that each one required me to take a stand, an open and therefore public step into the discussion and the resulting decision.  

            Who says I can’t vote?  I will vote.  Who says I can’t live here because I am black? That was the day I discovered that sometimes those who are supposed  to police “equal opportunity” are afraid to use their legal baseball bats. Just because he is male and I am female (or he is white  and I am black) he gets the job?   That was the day I confronted a person bowing down to political pressure.  Because this student comes from a poor Appalachian family and you think he is undeserving…you the almighty counselor did not submit his paperwork? The student lost a full scholarship to a prestigious engineering school and I didn’t find out in time to confront the counselor.   Because this senior student just became a single parent and you refused to send makeup work home because you are against high school students who become pregnant, you flunked    her for an honors math class? The student was assigned a different instructor, made up the work and received a full scholarship to college while raising her son!   

            There are times when the voiceless demand that someone  stand up and be counted and sometimes we are the voiceless who must be heard. Through my 35 years in  underserved schools, I actively faced the stumbling blocks and plunged on perhaps in the back of my head also hearing the words of W.E.B. DuBois in his discussion of the “Talented Tenth.”   My one  separation from DuBois is that any/all minorities in the 21st Century are confronted  with “stumbling blocks” which must be eliminated for the good of all  mankind.  Now in my seventh decade…I must pass the torch. You, the young adult generation must face the fight. The battle is not over and it should not be abandoned!

No comments:

Post a Comment